As digital nomads (trendy term for people who work remotely) and with York being recently highlighted as the best place to live, we thought we’d do a few posts about things that matter to us, as York residents, and most likely wouldn’t make it into the nationals!
So in this post, we’ll share some of the places we like to work and meet – places that don’t mind you getting your laptop out, hooking up to an internet connection and creating your mini office for a few hours. Here’s our top five:
1. Gulp & Graze, Micklegate: awesome menu, private heated outdoor booths, very nice coffee and friendly staff. Good wifi and charging points. Cheap parking if less than an hour. Can get busy around lunchtime. (link)
2. Youth Hostel, Clifton Bridge: lovely glass frontage, outdoor seating for warmer months, private meeting rooms you can use for free if they’re available, free parking or nice walk/cycle along the river. (link)
3. Mairs, Heworth: one of our favourite places to meet; York’s biggest selection of sandwiches? lovely coffee, nice community vibe and good internet connection. No parking. (link)
4. Trinacria, Bishy Road: Beppe and his team are very welcoming, amazing Sicilian menu and coffees, good chance of bumping into the City’s creatives, good wifi. Gets very busy and few charging points. (link)
5. Cycle Heaven, Fulford Road: great (if not a bit dangerous financially!) for cycling fans, humongous slices of cake and good coffee. Nice, mixed vibe with parents, local professionals and students passing through. Patchy WiFi on our last visit. (link)
*this is an impartial review based on experience – we haven’t received anything for featuring these venues