Many of York Explore libraries and Reading Cafes are open and ready to welcome people back for drop in, browsing, and a friendly chat. Quiet study space will be available again too, but you will need to book ahead.
The Reading Cafe at Hungate has lots of new books to browse and is openalong with the Reading Cafes at Tang Hall library and at Homestead and Rowntree parks for outdoor service and takeaway.
The Archive at York Explore is due to open from Monday 26 April for pre-booked appointments.
Explore is doing all it can to make sure libraries and cafes are safe as they re-open. Customers will need to wear face coverings and follow guidance about social distancing. For those anxious about emerging from lockdown and returning to public spaces many of York’s libraries and Reading Cafes have outdoor spaces or gardens which are ideal for a meet-up with friends.
Fiona Williams Chief Executive of Explore York Libraries and Archives says
“Libraries are all about bringing people together. Through the pandemic we found ways to do that online. In April we will get back to doing that face to face. In May we hope we can re-open our Reading Cafes fully. By summer we hope to be able to offer some activities, but this will be dependent on government advice.”
Details of York library plan for re-opening:
- From 12 April – All York libraries open for browsing and drop-in. Reading Cafes open for takeaway and outdoor service at Hungate, Tang Hall library, Rowntree Park and Homestead Park.
- From 26 April – The City Archive re-opens for pre-booked appointments.
- From 17 May – All Reading Cafes including those at Acomb and York libraries re-open fully with indoor service.
- Books out on loan have all been automatically renewed until 30 April
- Events will continue online, and planning face to face events as well.
- The Online library continues: e-books, audiobooks, local history, Explore’s YouTube channel and Press Reader giving free access to thousands of newspapers and magazines.
- Find more information at https://exploreyork.org.uk/re-opening-april-2021/
*All re-opening dates are subject to government advice and local decisions.